Radio? Sure!

The Best Internet Radio Player Ever! ;)

'Internal' Crash With Windows 10

All questions about using RadioSure.

'Internal' Crash With Windows 10

Postby Phred » 23 Oct 2016, 11:54

I have a strange kind of 'crash' with Windows 10, in that Rs starts, begins playing its last station - then starts again.
Recording is impossible, creating only a 4k byte file that never grows. It's too short to play, after closing the 'recording' session. Rs is in an hiatus.
Windows 10's Action Panel reports that Rs has started - a little pop-out appears - and then a duplicate of the tuned-in station appears. Unexpected behaviour.
Rs x 2 - b.PNG
Two instances?
Rs x 2 - b.PNG (50.32 KiB) Viewed 6612 times
One country I know has a national government-sponsored broadcaster, and the behaviour reported occurs for its stations.

For commercial/other stations all over the world, Win10's corner annunicator keeps popping out every few seconds showing one station playing.
The sound indicates in all cases that only one instance is running: no 'echo'.

No triple-clicking of a shortcut. No quadruple-clicking. A single instance started from: C:\Users\Phred\AppData\Local\RadioSure\RadioSure.exe
Win10 upgrade fron Win7/64. 8-core CPU/6GB RAM operative. Solid cable internet supply: >20mbps. All wired connections to this computer. Disc space unlimited. No restrictive permissions.

Any ideas? Any tracking utilities? CPU monitoring? Activity monitoring?
Phred

Re: 'Internal' Crash With Windows 10

Postby Fonzy » 23 Oct 2016, 22:46

My advice:
Remove the whole installation ( if PRO user, then first save the ~temp.sys file. That is an "hidden file" so you must first set your windows options to NOT hide hidden files, then you can copy the ~temp.sys file to a place outside of Radiosure.
Then reinstall the last version (1046) as PORTABLE, meaning all files are in 1 folder, not split in a part in c:\program files\radiosure, and an other part in c:\documants and settings\....\radiosure. Then copy the ~temp.sys , or move it to the installed folder (can be any place you choose, also c:\program files\radiosure\...)
now , less problems are possible, since all files needed are in 1 folder
(problems can occur by some protecting software, more restricting the documents and settings folder, so the program can not function properly)
Version 2.2.1046 because all other versions do NOT decode m3u8 streams
success :-)
Fonzy

Postby Phred » 28 Oct 2016, 09:55

That seemed to clean some things up, thanks Fonzarelli.
RS is still bouncing up repeated annunciators, but recording is working. Any further discordant behavoiur I will report.

Installing as portable has always had me perplexed; installing as 'normal' seems to put the whole RS pack in c:\Users\Phred\AppData\Local\RadioSure\ anyway. :?
I have, therefore, multiple radiosure.exe's in the AppData branches of all the users on this machine. So portable...?
By the bye...

...that also leads to the question of paying mr admin a contribution of thanks for Pro: it seems to me that we're dependent upon admin keeping the database of stations up to date, and if he loses interest in doing so, RS explodes and becomes useless, and our purchase is for nought...
FWIW.
Phred

Postby Fonzy » 28 Oct 2016, 17:51

Phred wrote:...that also leads to the question of paying mr admin a contribution of thanks for Pro: it seems to me that we're dependent upon admin keeping the database of stations up to date, and if he loses interest in doing so, RS explodes and becomes useless, and our purchase is for nought...
FWIW.

Admin is the only one to change or update the RADIO software.
The database is updated and kept going by (free)working users, so as long as the software works, you can benefit from the pro features (recording whole songs from beginning as example)
Even if nobody works on startions update, you can still update the stationslist by yourself, by means of editing software(flat txt editor) or converting it temporary to an excell file (adding .xls at the end of the rsd file, and after done and saved, remove the .xls)
But that is not soon to happen I guess (we see a lot of users contributing to updating streams or giving info about ceased stations or new ones)

- normal install , here on my PC (for all users) was partly in c:\program files\radiosure, and partly in the users account, so every user can have different settings. Having installed as well as portable and another install as normal can cause problems. So advice : if installing as portable, first uninstall, and remove manually things that should remain in c:\documents and settings (the user settings)
- Having various instances(mixed portable/normal) installed on one computer can be a problem to !! (certainly if you regulary do a registry cleanup !) How shall the PC know , wich files belong to the started application ? (the registry, right!, just look into that with various installed software of same names)
My advice = as always: "keep it as simple as possible",. A computer does not "think", it just follows rules (priorities ...), and if you create a chance of missing a link, it will happen sooner or later.
Fonzy

Postby Phred » 02 Feb 2017, 09:25

Reporting in, Fonzy, after not inconsiderable trauma re-setting up R?S!.

I note your recommendation to set RS up as a portable program, but, just as an experiment, I tried setting it up as a normal program sitting in Program Files: it proved almost impossible. To write into 'Program Files [(x86)]' you have to do so as an administrator, of course. And, of course, we are NOT ALL administrators, so I ran RSSetup as an admin or from a special-duties administrator account.

I had to wrestle RS into a \Program Files\RadioSure\ folder - its default is [user]\AppData\Local\...etc - but managed to get it there. I exited the administrator context and, without it appearing in the Start menu, of course - because it has no proper installer and omits such niceties - ran it directly from the ..\RadioSure folder.

It ran. But because it was running in a safe-hex everyday limited user's context, it was severely constrained: it couldn't save favourites, for instance, because it wanted to save them in the prohibited \Program Files\RadioSure\ folder branch. Does the author imagine that with RS 'installed' as a \Program Files\ program it is perfectly valid that it can be run only by an administrator? There lies madness, imho.
So installing RS as a portable program is the only real option - and that makes the tick-box 'Install as a portable program' entirely redundant.

With regard to, execution and my 'internal crash', the latest version is now installed, but it still throws up two successive notifications [picture above]. When run with a command-line record instruction, it first saves a file by the correct /filename= but of only 2,186 bytes, THEN continues to record into a complete file for the correct length of time - to a file of the name of the radio station itself. Repeatedly. Curious.

Any information of experience with such behaviour and of fixes would be welcome.

[I note what you say regarding RS's maintenance and its longevity. I will send some money :) ]
Phred

Return to Using the RadioSure