Windows OS and RadioSure

All questions about using RadioSure.
Jazzfan

Windows OS and RadioSure

Post by Jazzfan » 26 Feb 2020, 21:24

With Windows 7 no longer being updated by Microsoft, and Windows 8.1 will stop being updated soon as well I am looking at updating to 10 myself. I would like to get everyone's opinions on how well RadioSure works with their Windows 10 OS. Only interested in users who are actively using Windows 10. Not opinions of anyone else. :lol:

I currently run two different versions of Windows 7 (two computers) and am well acquainted with them. I won't touch Windows 8, thank you. :roll:
Last edited by Jazzfan on 29 Feb 2020, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

Lapsang
Location: South East of the Netherlands, in between Belgium and Germany

Re: Windows OS and RadioSure

Post by Lapsang » 26 Feb 2020, 22:43

Hello Jazzfan,

Windows 8.1 can be used until 2023.

I recently migrated to Windows 10 and Radio?Sure! works the same as in Windows 7.

Fonzy

Post by Fonzy » 27 Feb 2020, 00:28

I do use now RadioSure also in Win 10s (removed the S, by installing programs others than from the microsoft-store), so now Windows10-home., and this is irreversible)
I did install on D:\ drive (extra SSD drive inserted by myself), cause many folders in C:\ are (over-)protected by windows, and radiosure needs to be writable for the program itself (to get pro by the license) , the xml which stores the settings, history etc, and the stations folder where the updates rsd file go. Installed thus as "portable"= all files in 1 folder and sub-folders.
I also install all own programs on D:\ because the very limited size of the only- C:\ drive (56 Gb) (notebook) I did install that extra SSD, since internal no HD's can be connected, external it can, as well as DVD drives, Floppy drives, etc
Registering was no problem, with the data from my (still existing) WinXP computer.
The skins work as before, and no compatibility settings need to be made( although I did start it first with admin-rights, to be sure the registering was OK to write the reg-data to registry
Do not forget to enable Radiosure to get to internet if using a firewall ( I use Zonealarm, disabling the internal firewall from windows, but gets more flexible settings for programs )
I even transferred my MSaccess databases to that Win10, but run them under MSoffice 2007, since the latter versions 16 or 14 do weird things with MS access , and MSoffice is now to be "rented "yearly at 100€/year payment, in stead of buy one time a dvd, so I prefer the "OLD "Offices" that where suppossed not to work under WIn10 (a s I did research about 2 years ago , and therefore did not upgrade my "real-pc" to WIN10, also for that, needed about 600€ costs for hardware not accepted by the WIN 10 installer))

Jazzfan

Post by Jazzfan » 20 Mar 2020, 00:33

Thank you both. Very helpful.

Antur

Post by Antur » 30 Jun 2020, 01:38

About security and installation locations of binaries and their configuration files.

I'm using Radio?Sure! now for quite a while and i'm very fond of it.
It's lightweight and fast and simply does for what is designed without any hassle.

But there are some caveats, which concern me a little. The program does not respect system security. As long as it is installed inside %appdata% of a non privileged user, it's O.K., since it's running in user context and with restricted user permissions. The folder (and it's subfoders) also can be modified in order to update station lists or program skins or a pro registration. Some users might have admin rights though, and maliciously modifying unprotected binaries might bare security risks. That's quite easy this way.

This also might be a reason, why the %ProgramFiles*% folders on C:\ are (only appear over-) protected, which trigger the UAC to intervene if there is some possible alteration.

IMHO apart from the portable installation, the installed version inside the system should use a separate folder for the less sensitive, but global program data. %ProgramData% is meant to be used for this. At least there is a small extra folder inside %LocalAppData% for the real user preferences already.

This concept in windows nowadays resembles slightly the structure of Unix/Linux systems with protected folders /bin|etc|lib or /usr/bin|etc|lib respectively and the writable and hidden folder ~/.<something> to hold user preferences. A real database like the Windows registry to be used for this didn't really show up (as I know). There were concepts some time in the past.

With a similar concept it would also be easier to set up the program consistently inside a multi user or terminal server environment.

E.g. MySQL in the past used to be installed to C:\MySQL\, where binaries and the database itself was stored.
Today the database and adjustments of the server in %progamfiles% are installed seperately below %progamdata%. That's better for now.
(Of course a serious database admin would set privileges carefully, using a distinct admin user account as it is common with unix systems.)

P.S.
https:\ is missing here