Guidelines to add stations?

Here we can discuss radio stations which we are listening to.
Lapsang
Location: South East of the Netherlands, in between Belgium and Germany

Re: Guidelines to add stations?

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 01:14

The 'UK only' streams are very useful for the British, so they should stay for the British users.

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 01:16

Only approvers take decisions that go to the database.

Antur

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 02:25

Adjusted to use aac primarily.
Fine. Then I leave the UK streams where they are now

As mentionend, unfortunately it appears not to be possible to adjust RadioSure to use certain qualities as default.
It's the entire station as a whole.

Antur

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 02:39

Lapsang wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 01:16
Only approvers take decisions that go to the database.
then i wonder why they kept the dysfunctional stream from before in some of my fixes, which I didn't remove, but put at the last position.
These always told, the stream wasn't available for "this device any more" and to contact provider ...
Those I also removed, as I realized what they were.

Antur

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 02:45

Btw:
I noticed all AAC streams are somewhat delayed and behind the mp3 streams.
Several seconds at least.
This also was a reason to pick the mp3, because they are slightly more "up to date" ;)

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 11:45

Yes, the aac streams always seem to react a little bit slower, but once you know that, it’s not a problem, I think.

The message about “not available in this device” I heard in the Firefox addon “BBC Radio Tuner”. This annoying message is still there.

I tried to contact the addon producer but didn’t succeed in that.

What you say about streams approved: maybe the approvers are not always critical enough (I don’t know).

Antur

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 12:33

There is a confusing stream which i found in the definition of BBC Radio 3.
I kept it, but it appeared always to play something entirely different than the rest of the links.

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselecto ... format/pls

in fact the link contains a playlist out of 4 stream adresses, which represent some kind of recording. There is no way in radiosure to wind forth and back or to the end which would be the real time. Any idea where this is from and what's it for?

Again about the AAC streams.
True, they might be more efficient, but the data rate also is reduced and should therefore produce roughly similar performance as the mp3.

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 13:08

Hello Antur,

Where did you find the link?

The only thing that I can do is paste it in the VLC Media Player and then it says “No title”.

It sounds like BBC Radio 3, but it differs from BBC Radio 3 livestream.

Antur

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 14:19

This link was inside the recent link list as the first one. Someone put it there.
In VLC You can use the slider to jump around in the stream. But that appears to be somewhat random.

There are 4 streams inside which last 6 hours. Probably they are the same, but hard to distinguish.

Btw. there were some .pls playlists, which were named as being radio 3, but contained the stream for radio1
Hope I found them all and replaced them by proper ones. If all went right, there aren't misleading links any more and I've also split Radio 4 to show up also as Radio 4 (LW). The links were mixed inside the original Radio 4, which mostly used Radio the 4 FM streams (DAB nowadays). The streams are different.

I wonder if it is better to use .pls or to extract the direct stream address from it?
Probably .pls are maintained elsewhere and might fix themeselves "automatically"? ;)

Just found very useful information about AAC+ and the BBC Streams on:
http://www.astra2sat.com/radio/internet-radio/

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 16:37

Gradually I begin to understand a little bit of what is happening. In the Radio?Sure! “Stations section”, when I search BBC Radio 3, there are 13 stations active (3 are BBC), 2 pending (both BBC), 13 rejected (7 are BBC), and 4 deleted (1 is BBC).

If a stream works, I would say: just leave it as it is, and in my opinion 1 stream (best quality) is enough. If it stops working, someone will notice it sooner or later.

If you notice a stream stopped, try to find a new one, propose it and wait for an approver.

For me it has always been very simple.

If a stream ends with .pls and it works: no problem. The only thing that matters is: does it work or not?

If I don’t appreciate a Radio?Sure! station as it is (name or bitrate), I just add a new station for myself.

The Astra 2 website is very interesting indeed. Thank you very much for that.