Guidelines to add stations?

Here we can discuss radio stations which we are listening to.
Antur

Re: Guidelines to add stations?

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 20:16

These stations got maintained by me. I decided to fix all in one big sweep. I frequently browse through the BBC local radios and like them to be consistent. The previous state wasn't satisfactory. Many stations weren't updated and had outdated links. Some links were wrong and confusing. (in particular the primary ones of BBC 1-4)

I also now learned, aac+/96 should be even better than mp3/128. Because of this I didn't like my initial edits and refined all stations to initially show up with the standard AAC+ stream. Since it is for the community, I included the streams for british users as well. Maybe it's userful for others?

I noticed, the favorites in fact adress individual streams! Despite I updated the general station list already, my favorites used the outdated stream. >
They all need to be redefined. :)

Usually if I didn't like the stations, I added the same station with different streams in my system locally with a tag and the end to easily see the difference.

Then at first I also created the same station again with diffent streams inside the list. But these were duplicates then, which I deleted. I expected them to be consolidated by the approvement proccess though. I exptected too much obviously.

Now I updated the initial changes to my newest findings.
Now it seems to be complete and fine (I hope) :D

Lapsang
Location: South East of the Netherlands, in between Belgium and Germany

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 20:37

Hello Antur,

Maybe you know this already:

If you have Favourites (I always have 30), you can let them be synchronized with the database. Look for Settings>Advanced.

Streams in Favourites will be automatically updated.

If you switch this off, you have to update them yourself. But: chosen names are maintained.

I have it switched off.

And: maybe you know also this already:

If you right-click ‘Title’ you can choose “Only show my own stations”.

Antur

Post by Antur » 27 Mar 2021, 20:50

Lapsang wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 20:37
Hello Antur,

Maybe you know this already:

If you have Favourites (I always have 30), you can let them be synchronized with the database. Look for Settings>Advanced.

Streams in Favourites will be automatically updated.

If you switch this off, you have to update them yourself. But: chosen names are maintained.

I have it switched off.

And: maybe you know also this already:

If you right-click ‘Title’ you can choose “Only show my own stations”.
Hm :?

Checked this. I've always set this, but my favorites didn't update. I needed to redefine them according the new stream definitions. They still anounced, the station wasn't available any more on this device (or alike).

I wonder if this is related to the station's name or the ID.
The ID always changes when updating stream definitions on the web page.

To see only own stations is fine. Didn't know this. But the tags are meant to show up in the entire list to immediately recognize which I defined.

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 27 Mar 2021, 22:57

Usually it takes some time before updates have reached the normal database.

Maybe that’s why you are confronted with outdated streams even if you synchronize your favourites.

It all depends on the alertness of us volunteers. Every volunteer has his or her special field of attention.

Many, many BBC streams have been approved now, I see. You have done an awful lot of work!

I didn’t know Mathew Peet, but his information seems to be a bit confusing.

What I miss since a long time is Beijing Radio Classical Music. China is so technically advanced, but radio streams from there are always a source of problems.

Antur

Post by Antur » 05 Apr 2021, 02:09

Right now I'm wondering if fixing the BBC streams is futile in the long run. :roll:
More and more "devices" get unsupported. Probably some, whose stream adresses appear to be available still. Even the BCC "World" Service gets moved into the bbc's own "sounds" web page only or will be available using the app with probably mandatory sign on model.
Is there any reliable information how the bbc will proceed in this regard?

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 05 Apr 2021, 16:48

In Radio?Sure! most BBC stations are working (not all!) and BBC World Service is working and double mentioned. One of the two works.

Which devices do you mean, Antur?

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 05 Apr 2021, 16:53

This week I had contact with the manager of Radiofeeds UK.

I asked him to add BBC Radio 1 Dance, but they only mention terrestrial and satellite stations. Not web-only.

Antur

Post by Antur » 05 Apr 2021, 17:35

Lapsang wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 16:48
In Radio?Sure! most BBC stations are working (not all!) and BBC World Service is working and double mentioned. One of the two works.

Which devices do you mean, Antur?
Right now the BBC streams work with Radio?Sure! True. That's because I fixed most of them as far as I understood this to my best confidence. :geek:
I didn't find some of them yet. E.g. the Asian or African WS-Stream

Just before, last week most of them were broken, since the BBC changed them. Only the major ones seemed to be ok somehow. I desperately missed the local radios I like. I checked the Audials App on my iPhone (4s ;) ) now. The BBC World Service soon will not be available any more directly with this, as a text message tells. Many stations are missing already. Probably the maintainer of the "audials" lists need to adjust the URLs of the streams they use (they picked the mp3 streams in general).

I wonder when the streams I found also will refuse to work and tell that they aren't supported any more "on this device" (which one?), as it happened to many of the streams even "high end" hardware devices use via TuneIn. There are many complaints in the UK right now about this.

I've learned about the BBC intends to have much more individual control about their distribution channels. :roll:

Lapsang

Post by Lapsang » 05 Apr 2021, 19:17

As I never owned anything else than a cheap Windows computer, I don’t know anything about iPhone or Apple.

I tried Audials, but I didn’t like it at all.

I removed the second, not working, BBC World Service (still pending of course) and added BBC World Service East Asia, South Asia, East Africa and West and Central Africa (also still pending of course).

Antur

Post by Antur » 05 Apr 2021, 19:31

unfortunately on apple devices, there are not many choices how to access webradio. You depend on apps, provided by the istore. Unfortunately radiosure isn't available there. You need to compromise. Vradio, which I rather prefer of these, cannot be installed on my very old iphone (so much about expensive hardware ) ;) Unless I update my phone I'm stuck to the once installed apps. And the most convenient of these appears to be audials for now.