Avoid " ' " character in titles - RS does not accept the " ' " character in its webpage searches

Please post your suggestions here
eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

Avoid " ' " character in titles - RS does not accept the " ' " character in its webpage searches

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 20 Jan 2021, 17:13

Please avoid using the " ' " character in titles. Searching for it on the RS stations page will return no results.

Recently I standardized the years to remove that character. For example, I changed "80's" to "80s", "70's" to "70s", etc.
----------------------
Avoice= read "avoids" , do not use ,...

eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

Re: Avoid " ' " character in titles - RS does not accept the " ' " character in its webpage searches

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 21 Jan 2021, 16:15

The apostrophe in the plurals in the example above was an easy solution. English does not use the apostrophe in plurals.

What about other uses of the apostrophe? How do we replace them in the RS title? I don't know the rules for other languages and what would be an appropriate substitute.

English does use the apostrophe for possessives such as "Joe's radio station" and for some location names such as "St. John's, NL" What standardization should we use in RS? Over the years, I have seen a blank space instead of the apostrophe and in other cases have seen the apostrophe deleted and the preceding noun turned into a plural. Any suggestions?

Jazzfan

Re: Avoid " ' " character in titles - RS does not accept the " ' " character in its webpage searches

Post by Jazzfan » 11 Feb 2021, 19:43

Webpage searches? Not sure what you refer to. I have been out of touch with RS for quite awhile.
But I do understand what you mean with punctuation conflicts. I would suggest you not create plural forms of words in any language when there is a ['s] conflict unless you are certain it is plural.

In the unofficial language of the internet that uses 26 or so letters, dropping the apostrophe['] is acceptable because the meaning is generally understood. In todays age we all know what something means if it says "Joes Babys Musics Station.

eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 10 Aug 2021, 09:52

Hi Jazzfan,

The searching in the RS app with the " ' " character (ALT39) works, but searching on the RS webpage to find it and update it does not work. I found that there are two similarly characters that visually appear the same but do work for searching on the web page, (ALT0145) and ALT0146. There are entries of each in the RS today and searching works for each.

The issue is that neither is on the standard USA keyboard layout, and I suspect not on the various standard keyboards used in each of the EU countries. Here are the two examples:

Lor‘ FM - this is ALT0145
Radio Pomme d’Api - this is ALT0146
RCI - c'est la vie- Guadeloupe - this is the traditional ALT39 that does not search on the RS web page

It is easy to enter those keys on the Windows system. On the numeric keypad, turn on NumLock than depress the ALT key and hold it down as you type the characters after the ALT above, then release the ALT key and your character will appear. It is documented here

They are actually the open and close single quote marks, and the close single quote, ALT0146 is sometimes used as an apostrophe ( ALT39).

I suggest we want to standardize on ’ (ALT0146) since ALT39 is not searchable on the RS stations webpage.