Scalable Prebuffersize

Please post your suggestions here
Pit

Scalable Prebuffersize

Post by Pit » 14 Mar 2010, 16:46

It would be a nice feature, if we can scalable the prebuffersize. That must be greater for high quality stations in our network. Or an option for an greater buffersize as the normal or two options with a smaller an greater size.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Scalable Prebuffersize

Post by admin » 14 Mar 2010, 17:05

Now the limit is 10Mb. Is it not enough?...

Pit

Post by Pit » 14 Mar 2010, 17:16

Sometimes if many people here in my office use the internet, then the buffer get empty. For that situation it where good, if i could increase the buffersize.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 14 Mar 2010, 17:58

If you are talking about regular buffer, then you can change it manually in RadioSure.xml file.

<BufferSize>3</BufferSize> - means number of seconds for the buffer.

Pit

Post by Pit » 14 Mar 2010, 18:20

Thanks, i will try.

Guglielmo Marconi

Post by Guglielmo Marconi » 14 Mar 2010, 23:07

Does the "number of seconds" in the buffer depend on the type of stream? I'm getting very different sized recordings that don't seem to be based on the buffer number.

For example, I set the number to 15 and then recorded for only 10 seconds. The file created was over 6 minutes long! The station I tried this on was an MP3 64K stream.

UPDATE: I also tried this with a WMA 48K stream and recording for 10 seconds resulted in a file just under 7.5 minutes long.

Given your earlier explanation to Pit, I expected these files to be at about 25 seconds each. Any idea as to why the massive difference?

I'm willing to test this out more, but I wanted to get some advice on what to test and how (or be told that you're going to do it yourself).

This is using version 2.1.944.

Thanks!

-GM

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 15 Mar 2010, 00:29

There are actually two buffers.

First is the normal buffer. This buffer is used to eliminate network latency and network traffic issues. This is a small buffer 3-15 seconds. This buffer ISN'T related to recording at all. This buffer can be set in the configuration file via <BufferSize>.

The second buffer is much bigger and used to pre-buffer complete song to enable the option to record full song if you missed to start the recording at the beginning. Guglielmo, that's why you are getting different results.

Guglielmo Marconi

Post by Guglielmo Marconi » 15 Mar 2010, 01:04

Okay, to make sure I'm understanding things...

1) The buffer you choose from Options | Recording - a checkbox labeled "Record full songs from the beginning (higher CPU usage)" is used to make sure I actually record the beginning of the song when I press Record, and this is the reason for the large file sizes.

2) The buffer I can set in RadioSure.xml <BufferSize>##</BufferSize> is used simply to reduce interruptions when there are minor connection issues.

If so...
  • 2a) What is the downside (negative effect) of making that buffer the maximum of 15? In other words, are there reasons I wouldn't want it to be at maximum?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 15 Mar 2010, 02:36

Guglielmo Marconi wrote:If so...
  • 2a) What is the downside (negative effect) of making that buffer the maximum of 15? In other words, are there reasons I wouldn't want it to be at maximum?
Yep. One downsize effect is - connection time.

If you set it 15 sec, then it will take some time to fill this buffer before playback can be started.

If you have small buffer, then playback will start much quicker.