podcasts and playlists

eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

podcasts and playlists

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 12 Apr 2021, 11:48

Someone had asked a question regarding personal playlists and the response was that if it plays in RS, it is ok to add it or leave it in RS.

We had had some entries with podcasts. I do not support adding podcast links that play the same episode each time, that is not a live stream. I think we have some podcasts from the Vatican that do that except change to a new episode on an approximate daily basis. I think that is acceptable.

I'd like to propose the same rule for playlists. If the playlist plays the same songs each time, in the same order and with the same starting point, to the listener, that sounds like a single episode of a podcast and I would not like to see them in RS.

I do not mind very lengthy lists of songs, even if they are in the same song order, so long as they have a different starting point.

What do others think? Any thoughts from the listeners, contributors or approves?

Lapsang
Location: South East of the Netherlands, in between Belgium and Germany

Re: podcasts and playlists

Post by Lapsang » 12 Apr 2021, 13:50

Only live radio-stations, I would say.

And web-channels of course.

eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 12 Apr 2021, 19:26

It is hard to tell them apart sometimes. I had recommended a RS station from laut.fm to one of my friends who was driving 16 hours in a day. He said that after about 13 hours, the station started playing the same songs in the same order as when he started listening about 13 hours earlier. I did not delete the station because I have come to learn that most of the non licensed stations are really computer automation. A station repeating every 13 hours is likely to provide enjoyment than aggravation to the average occasional listener.

Lapsang
Location: South East of the Netherlands, in between Belgium and Germany

Post by Lapsang » 12 Apr 2021, 22:58

As long as such a radio station has a normal name, it's no problem, I think.

I also know radio stations where I get the impression that music gets repeated by a computer. But I wouldn't call that a podcast or a playlist.