.rsd spreadsheet and URL validation

Please post your suggestions here
Jazzfan

.rsd spreadsheet and URL validation

Post by Jazzfan » 22 Apr 2019, 19:32

EDIT: I wrote this post before I fully understand what the results mean, or before creating any script in Google Sheets. So this is more for information purposes then an actual solution. My hope is that someone more familiar with this sort of thing can use it.

If you have a Google account (gmail) you can use Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets).
Just upload the .rsd file in a blank page.

I also came across this article (https://medium.com/@the.benhawy/how-to- ... b0b35c8525) about how to program multiple URL validations in Google Sheets but I hadn't tried this yet, as I am still learning all this.

https://www.bulkseotools.com/bulk-w3c-css-validator.php will validate up to 500 URLS at a time, you can load more and it will tell you how many you loaded so you can make adjustments. I set the Profile to _No special profile_ and Medium to _Aural_ before I submit. It can take a few minutes to complete depending on the internet traffic

eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

Re: .rsd spreadsheet and URL validation

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 24 Apr 2019, 05:42

Awesome work, Jazzfan! This bulletin board allows you to attach screen shots as files. It would be great if you could share some screen shots once you have a detailed step by step that less technical people can use and help with the URL validations.

I don't know a lot about Google Drive, but I believe it lets you share a subdirectory as a read only space where you could share any useful scrips or configuration settings that you develop.

Jazzfan

Post by Jazzfan » 25 Apr 2019, 06:25

Thank you for the encouragement, however I have discovered that their results may not be very useful. I found results that did not connect to a playable station, but did connect to a web page. And others that showed errors, but were still playable station URLs.
Capture.JPG
Drop down menu selections on validator
Capture.JPG (34.6 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
The validator website allows you to cut and paste 500 URLs. Beneath that are drop down menus to select URL data to look at. Or to look for. I am finding out that for our needs that this validator may not be very useful. I will concentrate on working out a script within Google Sheets that might be more useful. I am not yet ready to ask someone on a forum of coders for volunteer help creating what we need. Most of them I am aware of would rather help you learn to do it yourself.

I myself will now crawl back into my cave and hibernate on this problem, and speak again when I learn anything useful.

Cheers.

eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B

Post by eMzw7gJ2NjEdmoNkiR9B » 26 Apr 2019, 02:16

Some of the issues you will face have to do with how many parallell tests do do at once. Doing 30,000 streams one at a time and waiting 10 seconds for a stream to start will take 5,000 minutes (or 83,333 hours). Not very useful.

That $25 tool does a nice job in about an hour or two for all 30,000 streams. It is a good tool but then returns just a list of streams and their status, rather than all the other information in the rds file, so it is necessary to look up each stream in the RDS file to find the right row. VLOOKUP does that well, but I am sure you could do it in Google Sheets or another competitor to Excel.